Where the Streets Have No Name

Wednesday, September 27 by Dan Lo

What a great song, so it should come as no surprise that there are tons of covers out there. I've compiled a small collection of ones that I like/find tolerable/interesting (don't worry, I skipped out on the elevator versions).

U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
Original [non-live] version, duh. I highly doubt anyone doesn't have it but the link is there anyway. Afterall it's the "title track" of this post :)

Chris Tomlin - Where the Streets Have No Name
I think most of you know who he is. This version is pretty much a carbon copy of the original, give or take (at least it's in a different key). That said, you can't really go too wrong, and Tomlin's voice pulls it off pretty decently. This track is off the album "In The Name Of Love: Artists United For Africa", a compilation of U2 covers by Christian artists.

Kane - Where the Streets Have No Name
Kane is a Dutch rock band that I've never heard of until I ran across this track. Off their cover album "With Or Without You", this live recording also stays fairly faithful to the original except they add their own bit of flare to the vocals here and there (37 pieces perhaps?).

Silverbeam with Ann Louise - Where the Streets Have No Name
Not really sure who Silverbeam or Ann Louise are, and a half-hearted search on them yielded pretty minimal results. I guess you can call this the [dreaded] dance version but the vocals are pretty decent.

Pet Shop Boys - Where the Streets Have No Name (Can't Take My Eyes Off You)
I'm ashamed to admit this, but this particular version is my first exposure to the song. The saving grace (if you can call it such) is that I knew from the beginning that it was a U2 song from reading the liner notes (which I was planning on posting but I can't find my CD). This is the overall most deviant rendition of the bunch, as they tacked on the chorus of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by Frankie Valli. Being a synthpop fan, I thought the guitar translated rather nicely into a driving synth bass line.

Vanessa Carlton - Streets Have No Name
A hard-to-find track that was only available as an mp3 download or on the Japanese version of the piano-playing pop singer's latest album "Harmonium". A great cover thanks to her vocals and amazing piano skills used with stunning effect. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Pan said...

I had forgotten about my Pet Shop Boys Singles Discography. I dusted it off and imported to iTunes.

9/28/2006 5:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home